Sunday 22 May 2016

Ritual Collective - &_¥. Review Blog

&_¥. Ritual Collective Review/Blog



&_¥. is the first release of aspiring Canadian label Ritual Collective. This is a 30 track album of acts currently associated with this label. I've been listening to this since its release studiously taking notes about the sounds on his release so I can bring you my ill informed gob shitedness on the thing.

Firstly my impressions of the label. Clearly from the mix of styles on this release the person behind it (the young Ayumi Miko, also featured on the release) has eclectic tastes but theres also a good wedge of atmospheric almost sinister tunes.

Overall I like the number of different styles on the album, whilst not all to my own taste there's plenty on there that made me stop picking my nose and take notice. If this is Ritual Collective's trajectory I think they'll cover enough genres to appeal to plenty of markets.

When speaking to Ayumi Miko about their reasons for doing this label/release I was told "Everyone I associate with, I want their artistic vision to come true". This statement alone makes a lot of what's on the release make sense. It's not all tracks you're going to necessarily jump on a dance floor for or play on repeat (some are, some aren't), but without doubt they're all forms of art that do well at creating atmosphere and provoking thoughts (my thoughts are just probably a bit more daft than most). In this way Ayumi Miko is doing these artists a great service.

On to the music. I will not cover every track but have picked a few out that resonate with me. 

Nultranq

Firstly, for those of you that ask yourselves, "what would Aphex Twin sound like on speed with a stick of dynamite up his arse?" (I know i do), you're in luck as this compilation holds the answer.

Enter Nulltranq with ACCEPTANCE ASSUNDER.

This is an aggresive, industrial and tense track.

Is it easy listening and accessible? Well that's the same as asking if Kanye West is a humble fellow with an outlandishly friendly personality . The answer is a profound no, but I think those with a discernable ear will appreciate the work thats gone into this track..... and that Kanye's a cock end. I love aggressive music so this worked well for me and is definately worth a listen.

Jimbodeni

Jimbodeni's Your Eyes stands out on this album as its feel is different than a lot of the album (a shout out to R.C's ecleticism). It is, however an outstanding track.

A great vocal along with excellent song writing ability, mixed with some thoughtful touches here and there make this a great ambient tune. The devil really is in the detail, and I really enjoy some of the little piano and synth parts he's put in. Not a note is wasted.

This is perhaps one of the more easily accesible tunes on this release, but this does not mean it is any less complex or skilled, it is a brilliantly thought out and well written tune. Jimbodeni is new blood, cutting his teeth and I can't wait to hear him after even more experience making this style of music. 

Copy Paste Medusa

Copy Paste Medusa provides us with &_L`. (Intro). It's a brilliant piece of work that takes a well known happy clappy crappy song and puts it smack bang in the middle of a twisted horror flick like House of a Thousand Corpses.

I don't want to give too much away apart from I'll say, you're not going to ponce about with your ipod listening to it on repeat, but you may have a graphic nightmare it's the soundtrack to tonight. And this is not a negative, it takes skill to evoke an atmosphere like that in music, and for that reason this very short track is very good as a composition.

Lense

Lense - the eyes of the people is the only track of it's type on the album, in that it's a bluesy rock number from writers that I can only say have some great influences and writing skill.

This track is a bit of a journey, starting fairly simplistic, then building into a fuzz driven solo fest before mellowing again to a more laid back song.

If after listening to the solo and some of the drum work in this song you look down and find you pissed your pants a little, be not afraid or ashamed, it happened to the best of us (I mean me).



I listen to it and hear blues, groove metal, indie (American indie a la Beck/Eels, not U.K) funk and more. I don't know if these genres are actual influences to these guys but it's there for me and as the track progresses the musicianship of guitarist and drummer are something to behold.

Much like the Jimbodeni track there is clearly a lot of thought into the composition, and I would (and have) recommend this to some of my more rock oriented friends.

Lord Nikon


Lord Nikon - Redshift. At first i was thinking "what the fuck?". Then the d'n'b drum beat smacked me in the chops and i started to get it.

About 1 minute 30 seconds in i was imaging it as part of the soundtrack of clockwork orange set in a cyborg era and thinking how awesome that would be and how if they were to ever make it and not use this track then I can only assume it's made by stinky ass monkeys.

Anyway I digressed into rant..... The off tune twisting of the synth and driving drum beat create a pretty fantastic sinister atmosphere that resonates with me and I found it an enjoyable addition to this compilation. 

Ghosts Together! (Apologies for the typing)

Ghosts Together! contrubution is much appreciated.

THE MOON AND THE SKY has a very good vocal and a nice ambient start. The track gets stronger as it goes on and includes some lovely piano undertones which really make it. Plus it made me repeatedly think of the Mighty Boosh's I am the moon. 

Ayumi Miko

Ayumi Miko, the driving force behind the label takes label owners rights and makes 2 contributions, the cheeky so and so. However they're fully deserving of their place. Especially the fine "Drug Deals".

The track samples a lovely soul vocal and is then made to sound, in parts, off time and throughout as though played through an aging p.a.

It's created an slightly psychedelic edge and is an enjoyable and interesting listen.

And the rest.....

I can't write about every track as there's 30 and I barely know that many words, however overall there's a bit of something for many different tastes on this release.

There's a fantastic trip hoppy track, the well crafted 4k from Vxshnx, a very well crafted song with lovely beat development throughout.

There some, what I see as, good old rave music with strong contributions from Rawpunk and Vatska.

Theres also plenty I've not mentioned. And not because they're not worthy of a mention. But because people should download this and hear it for themselves.

It may not all be your groove, but some of it will be and you might get behind not just the artists but the over all project that is clearly a passion for Ritual Collective.

Any one with this level of passion and the desire to facilitate peoples artistic vision deserves our attention, as do many of these artists, so I'd recommend you download, contribute if you can and watch the development of this label and it's associated acts.

Download it now bitch! 


Follow them on Twitter @ritualpeople
Follow me on Twitter @Simjonny



No comments:

Post a Comment